Sunday, September 11, 2005

September 11th Remembered



Four years ago today, September 11, 2001, I was living in Hawaii, having moved to the surfing world's famous North Shore of Oahu six weeks before. It was very early in the morning when I saw the news and was shocked senseless by what I witnessed. Like most Americans, I was shaken and outraged by what was happening, first in New York, then in Washington, D. C and elsewhere.

Not knowing what else to do, I went out for my morning run, just as I would on a normal day. I've learned to connect deeply with my inner guidance over decades of meditation and spiritual study and running is still the easiest, most natural way for me to open to that connection and receive guidance.

As I ran down the beautiful hibiscus-lined country road, my tears finally fell, and I began to pray. I prayed for those who'd lost their life and for those still in harm's way. I prayed for those who were still lost and the loved ones devastated by their losses. I prayed for those who were performing heroic acts and those whose everyday job is one of heroism. I prayed the leaders of my country would act with wisdom and I prayed we, who are citizens, would behave wisely, as well. Finally, I prayed for guidance and asked, "What can I do?"

In my mind's eye I saw a shaft of light from the heavens shining on me and felt guided to direct it out in front of me me in a continuous stream covering the planet, concentrating light on the darker places, moving forward until it reached me again from behind, completely covering the planet. I held the planet in that glowing golden-white light for a few moments and I began to feel calmer and more at peace. I realized this was something I was to teach others, and I have. Today, I'm offering it to you, too. It is simple and effective. Heaven knows the planet can use all the light we can offer it.

As I made my way back to my home after my run I heard an old England Dan and John Ford Coley song in my head, "Light of the world, shine on me, love is the answer. Shine on us all, set us free, love is the answer."

No comments: